Friday, July 18, 2014

Writing with Rox WEEKLY—Because Camping

Because it's already been a year
Because it's happy memory making for Jude
Because the stars
And the S'mores, even though I never eat them anymore because they don't taste the same
Because I loved them as a kid
Because I never went as a kid accept that time at Open School on the field trip to San Francisco and I wrote a short story about jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge and my teacher Sally let me and by boyfriend Lucas share his little baby blue pop tent
Because campfires
Because singing around the campfire
Because Two Cute Face brings his guitar and is too cute when he plays and I remember us like that, like that photo from the first year
Because my friends are really good at camping, even though they're Jews
Because it's nice to be taken care of as an adult in the littlest of ways like when your friend brings you a spare bungee chord that saves the day or shows you all the features on your tent you had no idea about
Because you're not as old as you think you are
Because it's romantic
Because the mosquito bites eventually go away
Because biking
Because that one time in Yosemite
Because fresh cool water
Because it's the quiet you've been looking for
Because your comfy bed at home is always here waiting


Write with me? BECAUSE POEMS are a great way to warm up to memories, thoughts, feelings, etc, and then to drop in and linger in anything that shows up. What do you love or not love about camping? What is your camping story?

7 comments:

  1. Because my husband and daughters want me to.
    Because I have a blow-up air mattress and sheets so I can hopefully sleep a few hours.
    Because s'mores and I still like the taste of them!
    Because I went camping with my Mom as a Campfire Girl.
    Because the fire is so hypnotizing.
    Because I am outside surrounded by nature.
    Because there's a bear outside the tent!
    Because the call of the loons in the dark is so haunting and goose-bumpy.
    Because gazing out at the water is a salve for my soul.
    Because I can just sit here and chat with you without other distractions or interruptions.
    Because it's good to eat charred food with a random sprinkling of dirt and bugs once in awhile.
    Because it feels so cozy to snuggle up in a sleeping bag listening to the pitter patter of rain on the tent.
    Because that one time in high school when the boys showed up at our tent.
    Because I love it and I hate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg, Gayle! I love this! I love reading this now, just coming home from a mixed love/hate experience! I feel so validated! I relate to everything you say. Hearing dueling owls at 1 am? 2 am? 3 am? (Whenever it was I could not sleep...) was worth the entire trip. And of course hearing Jude say over and over "I love campin'!" Beautiful use of this "because" format... love it, love it, love it... Thanks so much for sharing and especially for understanding!!! Writing is so great for that... See you soon! Rox

      Delete
    2. PS: One of the unexpected highlights of this weekend camping trip was one of my bffs constantly reminding me, mid-freak out, to remember my prompt! She coached me the entire time with my own words! "But remember, Roxy, the mosquitoes bites go away!" Just another way to see our writing come back at us... :)

      Delete
  2. Camp

    What of canvass smelling nice
    What of hot coals and distant calls
    What of morning dew on bare feet

    The airy breeze through grown trees
    Blowing like the wind it is
    It is it is
    Eternally completely

    And the wildlife, a simple life
    A darting fawn leaps and swerves

    The peace The quiet
    Solitude with thought and hope
    And not a care

    Finally the moon, a crescent sliver
    Bright yet not – reminds us of
    Essential artful beauty.

    BT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BTs! Yes, you share many reasons why I ought just focus on the positive things. :) Saturday night, midstream (if you know what I mean), caught up my usual negative rant about having to get up, yet again, to crouch in the sticks, I looked up to see the most beautiful golden orange crescent moon coming round the upper navy arc of the sky... a blend of sky colors one can only see camping at 3 am... "this is why I keep doing this..." I remind myself... Thanks for sharing this beautiful celebration, little snapshots of the beauty all around us out there, whenever we choose to linger... :) And... I am also happy to be home and inside today. Blazes out there! Thanks BTs!

      Delete
  3. The four season tent is ideal for extremely chilly temperatures, heavy snow and strong winds. The four season tents are made of thicker, and more durable fabric which make them weigh more also. Something you will need to consider if you are backpacking. Best camping tent online in India

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing this awesome info! I am looking forward to see more postsby you! Hiking Bariloche

    ReplyDelete