Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Writing with Rox WEEKLY—Night Fever

It seems like every ten years or so I am hit by a sudden need to watch Saturday Night Fever. Perhaps it's because my son Jude just turned eight, the exact same age I was when Ma took me to Westwood Village to a ten pm show with her boyfriend Jay. 

In all fairness, I begged. I pleaded and moaned. I got down on my scabby roller-skater girl knees and shouted. I didn't get that is was inappropriate. It didn't matter that it would give me nightmares.  This was a matter of disco. It was 1978 and disco was everything. It was disco or die as far as I was concerned. If only I could convince Ma to take me, I'd score major points with peer pressure. The older kids would accept me into their roller clubs, friends would revere me, and surfer Jered would take me out on a date to 7-11, ogling over my maturity.  As it was, everyone was already jealous that I had such a cool mom. 

"But I already got you those fucking satin pants, Roxanne. And look? You ruined them already."

Sure enough there were holes in my Starburst Orange satin disco pants within a week of purchase. She didn't believe me when I told her the holes were caused by my brother Ben farting on them so many times, with such putrid blasts, that several holes were burned into them. "I don't see how else it happened, Ma."

"No way, Roxanne, " Ma huffed, leaving a trail of smoke all over my disco moves. "And I don't see how your roller skating teacher could assign a movie for homework. We're not going. Now turn that down!"

"Well... it's more like she suggested it. Come on, Ma. Even you think John Travolta is cute. You said yourself you wanted to go see it!"

I don't know how or why Ma finally caved; perhaps my incessant begging eroded her common sense. Though I suppose it may have had something to do with Jay, who like many of Ma's boyfriends, considered me a pain in the ass, worthy of consequences, given he worked in corrections. Or possibly, likely, because both of them weren't too far away from youth themselves, remembering what it was like to crave the wild night like a child, the same way I did. 

Perhaps it is that same rush of adrenalin that calls me now—older  than each of them at the time, at least by ten years—back to that movie time and time again. That calls me to exclaim "let's go dancing!" to whomever I happen to be watching with. Less often I disclose my intense craving for a smoke, not so much because it caresses some unfulfilled hole inside (it used to!), but because it looks so damn cool. That's the danger in movies for me. I know better, but my young body, my wishful, longing, Hollywood body, is still vulnerable to the tricks of the trade, which for memories such as this, had its place in the sun. Or the hot seventies night, as it were.

And that night was a dream. I vividly remember walking up Westwood Boulevard, heading toward the theatre just south of Wilshire on that late summer night. I bounced between Ma and Jay, decked in their best everyday disco clothes, me with the patched up satin pants, matching yellow shirt with orange satin star in the middle, disco's stamp on modern clothing. There was talk of dance moves and the coolest movie there was ever was. There was an unspoken ecstasy in the strut each of us walked up the city sidewalk that night, a smug understanding that we were the coolest people on earth, Ma and Jay looking fancy and fine with their Marlboro Reds dangling off their lips. 

The memory is encased in disco, sirens and night lights spiraling around me as we hustled in with the crowds just in time. We shared a huge tub of popcorn smothered in butter, large drinks, feet propped on the seats ahead of us. "Oh cool..." I said, as the opening credits unfolded over JT strutting those disco streets I craved so deeply in my young body, the momentum of cool. 

"Cool!" Ma echoed, and at that, I knew I was exactly where I needed to be. I belonged. And one thing I knew for sure, enhanced by the Bee Gees beat pounding with rhythm and momentum, the soundtrack to this forever night: I am special. For that night, I was part of the scene, among the adults with the world (and dance floor) at their feet. 

And that feeling lasted until disco had it's huge backlash a few years later. Things went downhill between me and Ma. Jay left. The eighties came. We learned to dance real lame. Poor John Travolta was exiled from the new wave. Friends and I TP'd houses all over the neighborhood, writing "disco sucks" in egg yolk and shaving cream all over LA's manicured lawns.

As I watched SNF again this past weekend, it occurred to me about that backlash. Why did everyone suddenly detest disco? I remember it being violent, the hatred, as though disco was some writhing disease in bell bottoms. And in the height of peer pressure, I went along with the hatred, agreeing to reject a deep part of myself in the face of Culture Club, aloofness, and androgyny. Running scared from myself in a feral city that broadcasted its utter hatred toward disco, I was reborn a depressed, motionless adolescent, never questioning the death of a pulsing era. Too young to understand at the time,  I can't help but wonder now where all that hatred came from. Why a seemingly good thing was shot down from the starry heavens, no longer cool, all dressed up in satin with nowhere to go. 


WRITE WITH ME?
Where were you the day (year? era?) the disco died? What are your disco days memories? Saturday Night Fever stories? 






10 comments:

  1. Let's go disco dancing! I've got moves I could dust off. I love this story! So vivid. The last line is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Far out, Katie! Let's!!! On the retreat, eh...? :) Thanks for reading and sharing... can't wait to hear your disco stories! xoox

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was 1979. I was on the front porch of my fraternity at the University of Minnesota on University Ave. It was a Friday, classes were complete for the week and one of the guys was hauling one of our two ENORMOUS speakers to the front porch. Soon the keg would be tapped and the weekend toasted. I scurried up to my room to collect some albums and soon returned toting the Bee Gees, A Taste of Honey, and Donna Summer. I arrived back at the porch to discover the turntable spinning, to me, an unrecognizable tune that blasted campus with something clearly un-disco. “What’s this crap?”, I demanded. “Relax, Lamps – It’s The Cars”… That was the day disco died for me. Despondently, I spent THAT Friday night in the library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lamps! Really? Lamps? OMG, I'm totally calling you Lamps now.

    That is an awesome story, Lamps. Sets the exact place, time, mood—total buzz kill! It is so well done, I feel it and then I really feel it. Wow, Lamps, this is like one of the best things you have ever written. Seriously. Death of disco by The Cars... the irony. What says androgyny and apathy better than The Cars? I saw them in concert right around 1980 and I almost fell asleep. No shit! I do love some of their songs, but not many. More of the disco sounding ones. :) Thanks for sharing, John. This is amazing!! Rox

    ReplyDelete
  5. How could I forget Osman. The exotic, tennis pro and disco dancer extraordinairre from Ghana. And my disco dance partner for the weekly talent show at Ruttger’s Bay Lake Lodge, Deerwood, MN, where I worked as a waitress for two summers while in college. He was older, exotically handsome, with mocha skin, dark eyes, long eye lashes, physically fit, and....the way he moved his body on the dance floor made all the girls weak in the knees! Out of all the other waitresses (okay there were only 7 of us) he chose me to dance with him in the weekly talent shows put on by the staff for the resort guests! His moves on the dance floor were sexy and smooth, in his tight fitting pants and silk shirts unbuttoned to expose dark curly chest hair. He twirled and dipped me to the sultry sounds of Donna Summer’s voice singing “Last Dance” in front of the resort guests and other staff members. (Eat your heart out girls!) “....‘cause when I’m bad I’m so so bad....let’s dance the last dance tonight.”

    ReplyDelete
  6. Far out, Gayle! That's what I'm talking about! Love it, love it. Gosh these disco stories are rich— velvety, smooth, tight— rich! What a dream that must have been! Thanks so much, Gayle. I can just see it! Thanks so much for sharing! Hugs, Rox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Disco was always the enemy as I grew up a New England folkie - Tom Rush et all. But I do recall doing the Hustle at a wedding - in California of course.
    Saturday Night Fever is of course an all-time great. Travolta is famous for being in some of the best and some of the worst movies ever made.
    I pondered recently if there would have been any murders if Manson and his family had just been into the Bee Gees instead of the Beatles. But then disco and LSD were not a match - were they?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man, did I loathe The Cars. Techno music was so much worse than disco. When exactly was the disco era? I honestly think I missed it entirely as I was in Austin most of the 70's and disco really made no impact on the scene I was involved in there - Stevie Ray and Eliza Gilkyson et all. I wonder if it was like a Red state/Blue state type of thing where most of the disco took place primarily on the coasts - much like liberalism.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Rob! Great to hear from you! Gonna send those stories soon...? :) Yeah, disco is a loaded topic... and then there are songs, dances (the Hustle, etc), each tells its own story for me, so many memories. Yet there is a magic to the memories, being so blind to the adult world, politics, etc... gosh, we need to bring back the Hustle at weddings! Thanks for chiming in, Rob. Hope to hear from you again soon! :) Rox

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I was in my early twenties and a dedicated Dead Head I fell madly in love with a Disco Queen. On the weekend nights I would drive her into Harvard Square on my motorcycle and drop her off at a disco bar where she would dance the night away with mostly foreign students. I would go over to Charlie's Kitchen or the Inn Square Men's Bar and listen to Ina May Wool or some other folkie. Then at midnight I would pull up to the front of the disco bar and she would be standing there, a half dozen or more guys still gyrating around her still in primal disco heat. Lettie would hop on the back of the bike and we'd ride off into the night. That was, of course, the apex of my testosterone experience.

    I never could convince her to come to a Dead concert. Or wear ty-die. And she never got me into a silk shirt.

    ReplyDelete