Monday, April 25, 2016

Writing with Rox WEEKLY—Ye Olde Prince Stories

I know there are tons of Prince stories floating around out there, but feel free to share here!

I have been amazed, again, at the human need to "write it down.". If you google Prince, as I'm sure you have, you will find gagillions of stories written by "me" and "you" and everyone else about Prince. All different, but each touching something in us we can all relate to. So feel free to write and post ye olde Prince Stories here! Even if you haven't thought about it or think you have nothing to write about Prince, see what happens. Something will come; something you had no idea was there.

A little prince.
A story about Prince you heard.
You have no idea who Prince is.
You'd rather write about Prince Charming.
You don't like Prince.
You don't believe he actually died.
You remember the first time you heard his music.
I do. It was so-so.

I remember going to the Purple Rain concert with Ma in 8th grade in LA. She bought and wore the Prince and the Revolution concert shirt with the purple all over the place. Put it on right there at the booth and then danced all night. Everyone thought we were sisters that night, as they did back then, and the men in baseball caps with beer, smoking, looked at her then in ways that made me want to wear the same shirt. Only it didn't look the same on me and I didn't get the looks. And it wasn't the best night of my life. But Ma. To see her dance and let go in the dark purple lights of that faraway coliseum and say "Fuck, I love this! I love that Sheila E!" was worth the mediocre night for the memory. She still wears that shirt today, threadbare and all. And it looks just as it good, better even as she ages.

You?

7 comments:

  1. My friends were adamant that I could not be a true Deadhead and a Prince fan at the same time.
    Fuck that, genius is genius.
    I was early for a movie at the Harvard Square theatre one afternoon so I snuck into Purple Rain to kill a few minutes and never left. I've seen that movie now fifty times or more. Every time Prince saunters over and kisses Wendy on the cheek during the song Purple Rain I tear up. Of course, my infatuation with Wendy has a bit to do with that.
    One tribute that I read the writer called Prince the Mozart of our time - a true musical genius. I didn't love all his stuff, but I never for a second questioned his genius.
    Our world sorely needs all the genius it can get. He will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rob. And count your genius among the much needed, if you please. Great to hear from you, as always, Rob. If you can believe it I don't think I ever saw Purple Rain... I totally spaced that. How can that be? Keep in touch, Rob of the North... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Purple Rain ranks in my top five "guilty pleasures". Rox. It's right up there with Fever Pitch and Local Hero and The Cheyanne Social Club.
    But to be honest there is allot about Purple Rain that is offensive, especially the violence against the women and the various macho posturing. But multiple characters are truly memorable and the music...seeing how it can and does affect so many, that is a trip.
    I've morphed out to Tacoma, Rox - a truly funky town with a wicked history. But I still dream of sitting in the back row of one of your classes someday. You're a delicious inspiration, writing wise I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tacoma? As in Washington State? As in where I used to drive to and through and back on the way to Olympia, on the way back from Seattle? As in Sea-Tac airport? As in... rain????? Well. Hoping (assuming?) you are happy in your new, rainy funky, wicked-history home. So much to write about there.
    Here. There. Everywhere. :) In the meantime, I'll check out PR and you enjoy the emerald kind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Rox. So sweet a memory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to be the Hermit of Point Defiance, Rox. Magical place. Tacoma is the home of countless refugees. I am teaching ESL to them and the stories they have,,,folks from the Ukraine to Senegal and all points in between. I doubt there is a more diversified town this size anywhere. Yes, I am home.

    ReplyDelete