Wednesday, May 8, 2013

WRITING WITH ROX weekly prompt—In Memoriam

Daniel writing at the Beach,  May, 2011, at a yoga and writing retreat














In Memoriam
Daniel Hennessy, student, spirit brother, writer, poet, friend

As soon as I received the email from Daniel's wife Lynne, subject line "Daniel Hennessy," I knew that he had left his body and moved onto the eternal sunrise. But how can that be? I wondered in that infinite nanosecond before clicking on the message, how can it be? He's happy now. He's doing great. Life is good. It can't be.

I opened the email and read from Lynne that Daniel died unexpectedly last Thursday evening. "I know you two were close and I'm sorry to have to break the news in this way," she wrote.

I pushed aside my Greek Yoghurt and looked up at the sky. I exhaled with shocking volume and locked eyes with the blue of the sky contrasted against the white of the clouds, the same watercolor blue of Daniel's eyes. "Why brother?" I asked. "Why?"

I remembered the first time I met those watery blue eyes in the summer of 2010 at the Loft.  Intuitive Writing. How familiar they were, how much relief they brought, not only to me, but also to the students he shared his stories with in that class. How that class led to another and another, then several epic email exchanges, some in Spanish, some in intuitive flow.

The last email I received from him last July said: "Hey Rox, goin' pretty good.  Lot of travel this summer plus motorcycle camping in state parks.  Lynne is building a portfolio of state park pastorals...sometimes she uses her motorcyle for an easel....How you?" 

I did not write back.

I'm still waiting for an answer. It's coming. First I have to deal with the grief. Get past the denial. I'm still in denial about my father's death; I keep telling Too Cute Face that "when you meet my dad someday..." because I know how much they'd fall in love with each other upon meeting and part of me truly believes it will happen. So it's going to be a while.

"It's not important how he died," Lynne later wrote, "but how he lived."

And how I can speak to how he lived and how he wrote. The seductive literary drawl of his reading voice, especially when reading a chilling childhood memory, where he managed to weave humor into horror. (We both write of our mothers as "Ma," and we both mean the same thing.).

Yes, I can speak volumes to how he lived, suffered, healed, married, wrote, thought, felt, and celebrated among friends and family last May, that beautiful sunny celebratory day that was his wedding day and a day I will never forget because everything, even the stillness, twinkled.

And  I plan to write those volumes. But not today. Today is not about making anything more or adjectivial or big of the loss over or the life that was Daniel, but just to say I will miss you brother, writer, friend, lover of all beings, watercolor eyes, happy drumming man, love animal, poet wanderer, and eternal sunrise... your stories—both on and off the page, ones we created together, one's I had the pleasure of hearing—will live in me for a lifetime, and when the time is right, breathe some of that eternal sunrise back into the world.




Daniel laughing with writing friends


the two Beauties
by Daniel Hennessy

Alan Watts said we did not
come into this world, 
we come out of it.

Well, there's the rub.

Because there is a nostalgia, too.
That I am a visitor on this lovely planet,
that my real home is in the sunrise, 
and that I am reminded of this
by the glance of an infant.

Well, that infant came out of something, too.

Like dew.

Who are we?



Whether you knew Daniel, or perhaps your own "Daniel," all thoughts and feelings  are welcomed and wanted. Love, Rox

16 comments:

  1. Im sorry to hear of your loss, Rox. I met him at the beach that day and he was an inspiration. Warm hugs to you and his best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. Yes, he was an inspiration...be yourself and be free was one of the inspirations I enjoyed most about him... whether it was sunrise chi gong or how he wrote about it...thanks for writing!

      Delete
  2. I remember he came out to see TJ & Dave. We talked about Kierkegaard. He gave me a book on existentialism. He read this piece once...a little boy, he was and crying out for sanctuary, but his voice was still so quiet and small, even as he cried out. There's strength in the quiet and in the small. There was strength in the generous man with the snake tattoos. His name was Daniel. He knew me as Amanda Belle. I know those doors have been opened for him, and rest had come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful ABelle. This is poetic sanctuary for all. Thank you so much for reminding me of these sacred memories and moments. I can totally hear you reading this aloud, in your strong voice of compassion and roar. Love to you, Rox

      Delete
  3. I'm incredibly saddened. I have no words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally Amber. No words can capture and courier the depth of this sad unfair loss. Thanks for writing the few deeply meaningful, loving words you did. Love, Rox

      Delete
  4. Roxanne,

    I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Daniel sounds like a lovely person and very expressive.
    Blessings to you and all who knew and loved him.

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Katherine. I'm sorry you did not get a chance to meet him... thanks so much for writing. Hugs, Rox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shoot, sorry Rox :( I know you guys were good pals. I remember his snake tattoo when I met him and his writing about taking your head off and putting it in the freezer! He was a deep thinker that one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah... thank you. He will be missed deeply at the Beach. He was an incredibly deep thinker. I will miss our intellectuemotional repartee, to say the least. Thanks for writing. Those snake tattoos seemed to be a real show stopper...! Thanks for writing. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have seen in Hospice work, that those dying become teachers to the rest of us. Daniel sounds like a wonderful teacher. What a gift for those who cared about him. I am so glad you have his lessons and good memories to fill the spaces he filled. Luvs on ya, Margo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Margo. So great to hear from you and your deep understanding of what this is like. I'd love to hear some of those gifts you've received in your hospice work... bet you could fill a book, eh? :)

      Thank you so much for writing. Keep in touch. Love, Rox

      Delete
  9. Thank you for the photos, Rox. They allowed me to know that this is the Daniel I met in the Loft course with you. He and I were both newbies in that class. I remember him distinctly -- how honest and moving his stories were, how gentle and strong he was in handling dark memories, and how I asked him a dozen times in those few months to write a book because I was so impressed with everything he shared. He was a very special man.

    I'm so sorry for your sad heart, Rox. And that of his wife and loved ones, too. The Universe is intrinsically benevolent, but it deals these cruel blows that wound too deeply. It is the thing we can't understand.

    I wish you peace,
    ~ Tammy Quady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, Tammy, your words move me to tears. That memory of you two... I remember the connection. In that hot stuffy room in Hopkins... you capture his essence perfectly and I am glad to remember you were among those who encouraged he "write the memoir!"

      Thank you for sharing these healing words and reflections. Love, Rox

      Delete
  10. I think I wrote with him @ the beach. He actually wrote in my journal. Does he really like cats? If so, I think it was him. So sad.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes.... Daniel is actually part cat.... He loved all animals and esp cats. Glad you got to write with him.... Thanks Lizzy. Xo

    ReplyDelete