Thursday, May 16, 2013

Writing with Rox weekly prompt—Knock on your Neighbor's Door Day


I like to make up holidays. Partly to make fun of the ones we have and partly because they so clearly reflect what is so functional and dysfunctional with the world.

The truth is, I like to indulge in the fantasy of an evolved world where we don't need the excuse of holidays to feel loved, do what we love, spend time with loved ones, give gifts, have something to look forward to, etc, because everyday is full of these moments. I've written about this before here in a vision of Loveland, my future city of love light.

The one I made up yesterday during Weds afternoon Intuitive Writing was "knock on your neighbor's door day." On this day, anyone can go knock on anyone's door and ask to come in and join them in their lives for a day. No questions asked, all welcome. You knock, they let you in, you take off your shoes, make yourself at home, and have a big meal, maybe go on an outing. Nothing huge has to happen; you just know you have a place to go no matter what and are welcome no matter what and can stay as long as you'd like.

The idea brought back of memory of last summer when Too-Cute-Face and I were biking home from Lake Calhoun by all those huge houses on Xerxes. We'd been lamenting the lack of parental nurturing in our lives, even in our forties. Wishing for the little things: a meal out, encouragement on a hard day, celebration on a good one, invitations to dinner, etc. I told him I missed being able to go down to my dad's house on the beach in Playa del Rey and doing yoga while he played piano. I missed having a soft sunny place like that to go where I knew I was welcomed all the time (by dad, mind you, not his wife, which is likely why I wasn't flying down there more often). We wondered what would happen if we knocked on one of those big gated doors on Xerxes and invited ourselves in. We could bring the drum and the guitar and maybe sing a few songs together, we mused.

My therapist reminds me that this eternal longing I have for "big community" has to do with growing up without one and always longing for one. I think watching too much TV depicting large happy families has a lot to do with it too. Ma, usually running out the door, late for something, called all those shows which I drooled over daily, "fucking stupid," or "totally unconscious," which was true, but confusing: What was better, big stupid family, community or no community at all?

What holiday would you like to put on the calendar?

In the meantime, come and knock on my door... I'll be waiting for you. (Yes, even Three's Company was one of those shows I wanted to step inside of). But seriously, the Beach community awaits you for writing, sharing, taking off your shoes, getting comfy, and just knowing you are safe and loved and welcomed for your stories, your silence, your truth, loudness, and what and wherever else they dream  you on and off the page.





1 comment:

  1. Having endured the long MN winter, I ended up with the stomach flu, but one cool thing about that was being able to have popsicles again. Why is that the only time I can treat myself to popsicles? So my holiday would be: Popsicles in the Park Day! Lay on the grass, throw frisbees, watch people, and eat popsicles. What is your favorite flavor? Mine is a toss up between "rootbeer" and "banana."
    I'm off to get my popsicle of choice.

    ReplyDelete