Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Writing with Rox WEEKLY—What rereading my Blog taught me (again) about writing and (again) about life

Occasionally I'll wonder if anyone reads my blog. Not in the "no one cares" sense, but in the "There are so many blogs out there, so many magazines and books...hasn't everyone read everything there is to read already and aren't I just repeating myself... and besides everyone's busy" sense. Everyone gets the point about writing by now, at least as far as what I have to say about it: Write your truth, don't edit, trust your raw voice, writing together is a wonderful way to build community, stories are gifts, etc etc...

Even so, writing is a lonely business and even though it's a deeply satisfying, beautifully puzzling, sometime life-changing, magical process of discovery, on the other side of the shore, when you set the pen down, it IS comforting to know that someone is out there reading, resonating, etc. 

It's the same kind of thing my students will sometimes say in discussing why we write in the first place.  "What's the point? Who cares? Who really wants to read this? It's boring! etc etc..."

"What are you, kidding?" I'll say after a disclaimer such as that, "this is brilliant! NOT boring. Keep going!" Sure, I tell them that and I mean it. I DO want to hear it. It is NOT boring. It is beautiful. And truthful. And please keep writing...  But you know how it is. You can't always apply these things to yourself, especially when you're the "teacher." 

It's the same kind of thing my students will sometimes say about it not sounding polished enough, poetic enough, story enough...to which I will say, "but it is, it is it is! It's perfect just the way it is. Write now, fiercely, truthfully, and edit later." I tell them that all too often when we edit as we go, or too soon, that we kill the soul of the piece. We flatten the rhythm, the joy, the fluid juicy energy that feeds us in every sentence; we kill the ecstasy we feel when writing it. The live raw pulsing song of the piece (poem, memoir, essay, short story) gets sacrificed in the name of the big game of "what others will think."

Then—and only then—are we left with boring writing. Clean writing, with less heart and more head. Writing that no longer breathes or sighs. Slaughtered innocent writing that we hardly recognize as our own. Voices abducted, fragments of sentences brutalized and bleeding on the literary field, lonely, without their original, less polished verb companions. I've seen it time and time again. In you, in me, in everyone.

How long have I been preaching on these things here at St Beach? A looong time. And sure, for the most part, I do take my own advice. I have faith in what I say, I walk the talk, write the fight.  But sometimes, like you and me and everyone, I can lose faith.  I can forget and wonder what it's all about. I question. What am I telling these innocent writer people? What do I know? Maybe it does have to sound "better." 

But faith is a good thing. Were it not for faith, I could have easily given over to the literary dark side, believing that pleasing the external is more important than honoring the internal, the truth, the deeper knowing that always surfaces when we honor our truth on the page. And we can feel that truth and pulse and recognize that truth immediately when we are writing. We know we are in it. 

Luckily, when my faith is tested on (and off) the page, I am struck by a reminding wind, a gust of cool calm reminding, seemingly out of the blue. Just a few months ago I was caught up in a panicked existential flare up of "what's the point? why bother? nobody cares, nobody listens."  I was having a very challenging week. All the hormones were aligned to make for some serious crazy. My fibro was in retrograde. I was in the mindset of seriously believing that if I called anyone with my shit that no one would care to listen because X or Y or Z has it a lot worse off than I do, and besides, they'd heard it all before in some earlier version, hadn't they? Plus, wasn't that what my boyfriend was for? My therapist? My community? The makeshift family that I opted for and chose for myself, likely before I was even born? Where were they now?

So there I was convinced nobody would listen or cared. I wasn't due to see my therapist for another week, Two Cute was mad at me about something, Paula was traveling somewhere, I didn't want to burden my friends or Jude's dad, etc, etc. So as I sat there in my own pity party, convinced how inconvenient my deepest oldest pain might sound—either too much to handle or too shallow to indulge—my thoughts ran throughout the day, "who will listen? Who will care? Is there anyone listening? Is there anyone I can talk to?" I believe I was in the middle of taking down the recycling, trying to keep up with the everyday doing of life though I didn't feel at all every day on the inside. I felt lost and alone. "Is there anyone? Anyone?"

And then, there it was, a faint little voice coming from deep within the right middle side of my body. "I'm listening," the voice said. "I'm right here. Right where I always am.  I'll listen."

Well, I just about had to sit down right there in the recycling. 

That was unexpected. I mean, I knew it, but I just never really heard it. Not like that. Not in my body. Which likely explains why at first I wanted to ignore it. I knew it was good old me coming through, but what do I have to do with this? Of course it's me listening; who else would it be? Aren't I always listening to me? Aren't I?

Or maybe I didn't recognize it as me at first. Maybe I did, but didn't take me seriously. Oh you? So, what of it? 

In any case, when I came upstairs I did sit down. It wasn't a big emotional thing. It was't another tearfest. It was just like, "oh, yeah. You are listening. You do count. You can listen and you can also hear." So I took the time to listen to me. To hear me. In my raw truth.

Of course as I knew then, as I deeply-er know now, I'm the only one who can give me that undivided love and listening that I sometimes fall into the trap of believing I need to get externally. I have to be the first one to listen, the first one to hear, listen, and care. That way if there ever does come a day when my people don't want to listen (yeah, right), don't care (yeah, right), judge me for my struggles (yeah, right), find me boring  (yeah, right), etc, I won't fall apart. I'm there. I'm listening. 

I'm reading my own damn blog.

You can imagine how this translates into writing. You are, as am I, first and foremost writing for yourself. To yourself, for yourself. When you come back and find yourself on the page years or days or months later, you will recognize yourself and be so grateful for the gift you have discovered on the page. Finding yourself again—again and again—in an earlier form, writing and breathing.


WRITE WITH ME?
What will you write "just for me"? 
Just for me, I write...

10 comments:

  1. Aw, Sweetie. I read your damn blog too :-)

    Just for me, I write that I had a hard, difficult, tough week last week. A down week. That felt like a month. Rain and pain and upset tummy. I watched Family Feud and Celebrity Name Game and Whose Line is it Anyway? because I couldn't deal with the darkness and my poked and prodded body from one too many doctor's appts. Really sucked. And the sun wasn't out. And it was wet and cold and I didn't give a damn. Then on this Monday morning, I turned a corner, started feeling better, capable, even slightly enthusiastic. And I realized it was only a week, one crappy week and if I could just deal with that and not flog myself as though I'd been lazing around for a month, then I could bounce back. I could regain a foothold on my work, my schedule, my joy. The sun also came out, so that helped. And I walked and walked and sat by trickling water and on gazed out over beige cattails. I walked again today through big woods and prairie and I remembered who I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Love it. I know you do.

    Oh gosh, Amber, this is gorgeous. Isn't it true how we bounce back when we least expect it? I wish I could remember that when I have weeks like the one you had...that yes, I will bounce back! Thanks for the poetic reminder. Love the "walked and walked..." what a beautiful mirror nature is! See you soon! Rox

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The Rock can't see the ripples, and the ripples can't see the Rock." Meaning of course that your blog, which I read on my phone all the time and go, "yeah, it's like that, isn't it?" about everything you write about. Your blog is the rock which you toss into an unsuspecting pool, and the rock sinks to the bottom, but the ripples! The ripples keep expanding, and making the topic bigger, and spreading out, and touching more and more as they spread! Maybe the ripples touch a dead tree in the pond, and then you get ripples and counter ripples. And the rock sits on the bottom and wonders what was the impact. I love this analogy because I didn't have to use the word, "catalyst," which I hate. And best of all, my unconscious came up with the image of Rox throwing rocks into a pond. I can't stand it when my unconscious is funnier than I am.But seriously, when we write together, or when I read your stuff on your blog it inspires me to write better, more honestly, and be better. For example, I met a lady, who is about 82 years old. She is a teeny, tiny lady with the biggest personality ever. She lives way up north on the iron range. She is a Finn. White hair, blue eyes. I met her after a friend let me read her self-published book of family history. This lady had the chance to study Journalism for 2 years at the U of M in Duluth. The stories she wrote about this tough Finn family are so gorgeous that I feel like I know them all. Her relatives are buried on my friend's property. Of course, my friend, the little Finnish lady has planted an amazing garden in this family memorial, and it is flanked by 100 foot tall Red Pines that were planted years ago to honor her grandpa. Anyway, she is such an amazing writer. I asked her, (her name is Alice,) if I could write to her. She said yes, and we have been corresponding for about a year and a half. Alice's health is frail. She lives in her parent’s original homestead, and she heats her home with wood. Her son lives next door and he looks in on her every day. Still I worry about her, because she is so frail and only weighs about 98 pounds. Alice writes such beautiful letters to me. The last letter she wrote to me was about how as a young sickly child up on the iron range, a visiting nurse thought she had TB. Alice was tested, but she was not positive for T.B. It was something else. Allice said she was embarrassed in high school because she coughed up so much stuff from her lungs every day that she went through a whole Kleenix box in a day. The visiting nurse took her to Minneapolis over the Christmas break her senior year of high school. Her parents could not come along, but she had an aunt that lived in Minneapolis, and she would visit Alice in the hospital. Alice had a brand new procedure done to her lungs to remove all the fluid in the lobes of her lungs. They stuck a tube done her throat into her lungs. It was so incredibly painful that Alice said swear words, which she did not even think were in her. The hospital also gave Alice some Penicillin, which was a pretty new drug in 1950. Alice recently went to her high school reunion, and of the 40 kids in her graduating class, Alice has outlived almost all of them. Alice was lucky that we live in a state where even in 1950 on the Iron Range, we had a visiting nurse program that looked into the life of one frail girl, and figured out how to make her well. Alice was lucky to go to Minneapolis, which was staffed by University of Minnesota physicians, at a time (which is still true) when it was a power house and world leader in the medicine of lungs. It was around this time that the U of M doctors came up with the heart-lung machine that allowed for some of the pioneering surgery on hearts. Rox, thanks for teaching that us that the place to start is with the words that ripple from the heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, thank you for this beautiful celebration and inspiration! Words that ripple from the heart... I love that and feel it is so true and so happy to hear you rippling with the ripples and making your own ripples (on and off the page!).

      The imagination (which I'd say is friend/neighbor/one and the same with/to the unconscious) is a funny thing. I guess I'll leave it at that. Except to say that when we give our un/sub conscious and imagination more attention, we live more deeply, infinitely...

      So touched by Alice and her story. And your part of that story. Thanks so much for reading and writing and sharing and rippling... God bless our modern contraptions, eh?

      Big hug! Rox

      Delete
  4. Ah Rox, leave it to you to take the "simple" things and show me that I am not alone in making it complex... and that it works the other way around. I truly mean this as a compliment. Listening you your body? Your body is talking to you? Of course, who else would it be? Love it. I forget that my body does talk to me and to take what it has to say in a way I would if it were someone else telling me that it's how they felt. You show me the magic in everyday life. You show me that I am a magician. I used to be concerned with writing "better", editing as I went etc, but not anymore. Not with you. You can get that just about anywhere else. I need YOU to keep being you. Dedicated and loyal to the truth and rawness of life in all its messy, unfinished splendor... ESPECIALLY when you're "the teacher". Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel. Shucks, this sings my heart in so many directions. Thank you, thank you, thank you. So grateful you are seeing your own magician light and love reflecting back to you on page... in life... Thank you, sister. See you soon! xoxoxo

      Delete
  5. Hearing you loud and clear. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://blog.clarkolsonsmith.com/me-first

      Delete
    2. So glad to hear it, Clark! And now I am off to listen to you... :) So great to hear from you, my dear friend. Rox

      Delete
  6. Clark!
    Wow.
    Thank you so much for that beautiful post and for (really? really?) quoting me...! That's a little too much listening. :O Just kidding... well, mostly...
    I'm going to have to work on taking that in. You know what I mean? I mean, it's one thing that I'm really listening... but, uh, do I really deserve to be quoted? Well, I do... it's just... it's a funny feeling, given the post itself and well, given me being me and working on the old personal mythology of "no one's really listening..." LOL now...

    I am moved, Clark, thank you. I am (as we Jews say) verklempt... fermisht... Very humbling... Thank you, I'm grateful. Rox

    http://blog.clarkolsonsmith.com/me-first

    ReplyDelete